Supper Life

Xuanyu Liu

Oct 04, 2022

ESL 100-EC                              

                    Supper Life

Each county has their own style supper. China has one of the most unique supper culture in the world and each city has different supper style. I have tried all styles of food in my hometown, but my favorite meal is supper. Before I came to the United States, my mother told me there are a lot Chinese restaurants in Chicago, so I can eat everything I want. I thought I probably don’t need to worry about losing my eating habits. However, after I have been Chicago couple months, I still could not find any Hunan style supper restaurants. Therefore, it might be a long time until I can eat my hometown style supper.

In China, some cities are livelier at night than in the daytime. There are a lot of restaurants open after midnight. People don’t shop or play there. They go to eat supper, people call those places Ye Shi. However, I have heard that Las Vegas is the only city that never close at night in United States. Therefore, when I first wanted to eat supper after I came Chicago, I went outside and wanted to find some supper restaurants, but only a few restaurants were open until after midnight. I did not have a lot choices like in China. In China, there are also some street stalls which are independent shops, they can be a small food car or BBQ stand. It is convenient and low cost. I have seen some food trucks on the streets in Chicago, but no any street stalls open at night. 



After I graduated from high school, supper was a good way to spend time with my friends together. In China, eat supper is not only eating. It is also a good place that people can make friends or improve relationships. People can eat supper after they finish a birthday party. When I was in China, if I wanted to eat supper, I could call my friends easily because I have a lot friends. However, people always don’t go outside at night in Chicago and I only have a few friends in this city. I still think the problem of I don’t have many friends in Chicago that is cultural shocks. I don’t know how to make friends in United State, I have tried to make friends in my class, but it did not work. Sometimes, I don’t have any one to call and go out to eat supper.



In Hanshou, when people go to eat supper, they don’t just eat BBQ or drink alcohol, they have special drinking which is called Lei Tea. It is made from peanuts, ginger, sesame, mung bean, rice, and tea. I have found a lot supper restaurants, but none of them had it. I have lived in Chicago almost 4 years, and found all supper restaurants, Guangdong, and Sichuan, but none from Hunan. There was one time I used to drink Lei Tea was made from my mom’s friend. Then, I lost it.



Finally, even though I have tried all Chinese supper restaurants in Chicago and found a best one that is Laogao BBQ, I still want my hometown’s supper. However, I found a good way to get the taste that is almost like my hometown. That is to make by myself. Anytime I want to eat supper, I will call my friend and we will buy ingredients. Then, we will choose a good place,  like a backyard, a park near the lake, or a garden. Finally end, we will listen to some music and enjoy the time.


       

Comments

  1. Hi xuanyu. Food is something that we all miss when we move into a new country. Eating supper together as you mentioned in the essay is something that I can relate to and it is a time for bonding with others. Is supper the main meal in chinease culture? It is interesting to see a lot of people going out to eat supper from a restaurant

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi xuanyu! I enjoyed your essay! Yes, I also miss the 24-hour culture the most and I really miss the food cart that open at night, also I can understand how much you miss your hometown

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Laogao BBQ too, however, this restaurant is always busy. Every time I order takeout, I have to wait an hour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can understand now why you pay so much attention to your body shape, the reason is that there are so many delicious food in your hometown

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi xuanyu. I would like to try the Chinese BBQ as well. In fact, after I came to Chicago, I just tasted Korean BBQ. Of course keep your body shape is important.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vey interesting essay Xuanyu! I did not know that in china a lot of things stayed open 24 hour. I bet you miss this a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Unique Name